Poor adherence has been associated with suboptimal responses to cancer treatment. For example, in this study of CML treatment with imatinib, adherence of less than 90% was associated with inadequate response as measured by molecular studies, and adherence of less than 80% was associated with NO response.
The following teaching tools developed by Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC) can help healthcare professionals educate their patients about the importance of taking their medication as prescribed.
Chemotherapy Regimen & Drug Information
Product monographs contain:
- Mechanism of action and pharmacokinetics
- Adverse events
- Administration guidelines
- Special precautions
- Recommended clinical monitoring
Patient drug information handouts contain:
- What the drug is used for
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding concerns
- How the drug is given
- What to do while on the drug
- Side effects and what to do